This pie starts with a basic pie crust……which generally includes flour, water and butter in precise proportions.
Here, I decided to have a special pastry crust: eggs, and the ratio of water and butter is different from the rule.
The original recipe calls for apples, but I decided to use the strawberries, which now can be found all year.
The cake is delicious.
The best strawberry pie.
Served plain, or with a dollop of softly whipped cream.
Recipe By Luca Montersino.
- - Special shortcrust pastry -
- 3 cups + 1 tbs (385 gr) pastry flour
- ¾ of a medium whole egg – 1 oz+ ¼ oz (35 gr.)
- 10 tbs (140 gr. ) soft unsalted butter + extra for the pan
- 4 tbs + 2 tsp (70 gr. ) superfine granulated sugar
- 5 tbs + 2 tsp (70 gr.) water
- ½ tsp + ¼ tsp (7 gr. ) salt
- - Filling -
- 22 oz (620 gr.) strawberries
- 4 tbs + ½ tsp (65 gr.) superfine granulated sugar
- 1 tbs+ 1 tsp (15 gr.) corn starch (maizena)
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- - Plus -
- chocolate sponge or crushed cookies
- icing sugar
- melted unsalted butter to brush
- - For the special shortcrust pastry -
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with paddle attachment, mix butter, sugar and salt.
- Gradually add water and the whole egg.
- Do not worry if the mixture in not combined.
- Gradually add sifted flour and mix to combine for a couple of minutes.
- Separate the dough mixture into 2 equal sized piles and work each one first into a ball, and then into a disk.
- Wrap the discs in clingfilm and refrigerate for a couple of hours.
- - For the filling -
- Wash strawberies, drain and cu tinto cubes.
- Spoon them in a bowl, add lemon juice, sugar and sifted corn starch and mix to combine.
- Set aside for 5 minutes.
- - To assemble the cake -
- Heat fan oven to 325F (170°C) or 350 F (180°C).
- Butter a round cake pan, 8 inch. In diameter (20 cm.).
- Roll out the pie dough, gently place the rolled out dough in the pan, leaving a slight overhang.
- Prick the base with a fork.
- Lay a thin layer of chocolate sponge or crushed cookies on the bottom, so that the fruit juices will not moisten the crust.
- Spoon the strawberries mixture into the pan.
- Do not worry if the mixture seems too much…..while baking the mixture will collapse.
- Roll the remaining dough in a circle, prick with a fork and lay on the fruit mixture, leaving a slight overhang.
- Trim excess dough with a sharp knife, pressing the edges together to seal. flute with your fingers.
- Brush the top with meled unsaltd butter and bake for 1 hour.
- Let completely cool before removing from the pan.
- Dust with icing sugar to serve.