An apple cake is not the perfect Fall dessert only……..it can be prepared along all the year.
Each home baker has a secret recipe for the “best” apple cake…..
This cake is the best apple cake I can remember.
Super soft, thanks to the dough: infact the recipe calls for pastry choux recipe……but the proportions are different.
I suggest you to try it: served plain, or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of softly whipped cream.
- ½ cup (110 gr.) unsalted butter
- 4 tbs + 1 tsp (60,5 gr.) water
- generous pinch of salt
- 4.5 tsp (14 gr. ) powder milk
- 1 cup + 4.5 tbs (178 gr.) pastry flour
- ½ cup + 2 tbs + 1 tsp (138 gr. ) superfine granulated sugar
- 3 ts (11 gr.) baking powder
- 3 medium whole egg
- 1.5 tbs (20 gr. ) whole fat milk
- 2.5 big golden apples, about 10 oz. each
- zest from 1 lemon
- almond flakes
- Heat fan oven to 325 F - 170° C.
- Butter and flour a round springform pan 8 inches (20 cm.) and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine sugar with baking powder and set aside.
- Place water, salt, butter and powder milk in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring, until mixture just comes to the boil.
- Add all the flour to the butter mixture at once.
- Place over low heat and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until the mixture forms a ball and begins to come away from the side of the saucepan.
- Pour the mixture into a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment.
- Add gradually eggs, alternating with sugar mixture.
- Then add milk and lemon zest.
- Turn off the stand mixer and add an apple, diced, with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan.
- Slice the remaining apples and decorate the top as you prefer.
- Scatter almond flakes and bake for 55 minutes.
- Use neutral glaze to brush.