Red berries streusel tart … a recipe as simple as delicious. A pate sucrée flavored with Tonka bean, an almond filling, lots of red berries and an almond streusel … just simple ingredients for this gorgeous tart, really tasteful. To see to prepare the red berries streusel tart, watch the video here.
Red berries streusel tart
Short crust pastry
- 1 1/3 cups (165 g) pastry flour
- 3 tbsp (16.5 g) almond powder
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp (50 g) icing sugar
- 7 tbsp (95 g) soft salted butter
- 1/2 (27 g) medium whole egg, lightly beaten
- Tonka bean
- 1/2 cup + a scant tbsp (75 g) pastry flour
- 1/3 cup (75 g) light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (75 g) almond powder
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp (75 g) unsalted butter
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup (55 g) soft unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp + 1 tsp (55 g) superfine granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp (55 g) almond powder
- 1 large (55 g) whole egg
- 1 tbsp (10 g) corn starch (Maizena)
- Mixed frozen red berries (blueberry, blackberry, raspberry, red currant)
- Some fresh cherries
- Icing sugar
- Fresh red berries to garnish
Short crust pastry
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix butter with almond meal, sifted icing sugar and grated Tonka bean.
Add lightly beaten whole egg and mix to combine.
Add the sifted flour with salt and mix just to combine.
Flatten the dough into a round disc, wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 8 hours.
Place a tart ring (8 inches in diameter and 1 inch in high) on a perforated baking tray with perforated baking sheets.
Roll the dough gently until you have an even 3mm thickness.
Gently ease the dough into the sides of the ring, use your fingertips to press the pastry into the edges and up the wall of the tin.
Using the knife, remove the overhanging pastry.
Prick the base with a fork and refrigerate for 8 hours or freeze.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, place butter, sugar, pastry flour and almond meal.
Mix until a sandy mixture forms.
Spread the dough on a baking tray with baking paper and refrigerate or freeze until ready to use.
In a small bowl, soften the butter with a small whisk or with a fork, then add sugar and mix to combine.
Add all other ingredients and mix to combine until well incorporated.
Pour the mixture into a pastry bag and set aside until ready to use.
Heat fan oven at 320F – 160°C.
Fill the shell with almond filling and smooth the top.
Garnish the tart with frozen berries and halved and pitted fresh cherries.
Bake for 35/40 minutes or until golden.
Let completely cool, dust with icing sugar and fresh berries on top.
Frozen berries: I bought fresh berries, then placed in deep freezer. I suggest not to buy in the frozen berries in the supermarket
Streusel: I suggest to prepare ahead