Brownies and chocolate chip cookies are two typical snacks of American pastry.
Can’t choose between brownies or cookies?
The brookies recipe is the answer…… Brookies are prepared with a brownie layer and a chocolate chip cookie layer, soft and crunchy, with lots of chocolate.
Brookies are delicious and very easy to prepare, with basic ingredients that we always have available at home.
- 4 tbsp (55 g) soft unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp (25 g) superfine granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp + 1.5 tsp (40 g) Demerara brown sugar
- 1 small (45 g) whole egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (65 g) pastry flour
- 1.8 g baking powder
- 1.8 g salt
- Scant 2.5 oz (65 g) chopped dark chocolate 65%, Inaya Cacao Barry
- 1 oz (30 g) chopped hazelnuts
- 5.5 tbsp (75 g) unsalted butter
- Scant 3 oz (80 g) chopped dark chocolate 61%, Extra Bitter Valrhona
- 1.5 medium 870 g) whole eggs, room temperature
- 2 tbsp + 1/2 tsp (35 g) Demerara brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 g) superfine granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (30 g) pastry flour
- 1/2 tbsp (4 g) cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp + 2.5 tsp (35 g) finely chopped hazelnuts
- A generous pinch of salt
- 7 tempered dark chocolate round discs, 3 inches (8 cm)
- Whole hazelnuts painted with gold powder
In a mixing bowl, combine, sift the powders and set aside.
On low speed, with a hand mixer, soft the butter until creamy.
Add the sugars and combine until smooth.
Add the whole egg and mix to combine, on low speed.
Then, add the sifted powders.
Add the chocolate and hazelnuts and combine on low speed.
Creating a log, wrap the dough in plastic film, and refrigerate for about 75 minutes.
Sift the powders and set aside.
Melt the chocolate with butter and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, with a whisk, combine the eggs with sugars.
Add chocolate and butter mixture and mix to combine.
Then, add the powders, then the chopped hazelnuts and combine with a spatula.
To assemble and baking
Heat fan oven at 311F - 155°C.
Butter seven 2.75 inches (7 cm) pastry rings, 1.37 inches (3.5 cm) in heigh and line with baking paper.
Cut the cookies dough in 7 equal parts, and with a scale, prepare 7 balls, 40 g each.
With a pastry bag, pipe 40 g of brownies batter inside the prepared rings and smooth the surface with a tea spoon.
Flatten the cookies with your hands and place them in the middle of the batter.
Bake for 18/20 minutes.
Out of the oven, gently remove the rings, the paper and let completely cool down.
Place in the centre of each brooky a chocolate disc and with a hair dryer, melt the chocolate.
Before the chocolate sets, place on top a whole hazelnut.
Let completely cool before serving.