Apple crumble cake … that’s a recipe for a simple cake to prepare.
A soft and moist mixture with lots of apples, flavored with cinnamon and Calvados.
And an almond crumble on the surface to give a little crunchiness.
Apple crumble cake … perfect for breakfast or snack.
- 1 cup less 1 tbsp (120 g) pastry flour
- 1/2 cup + 1.5 tbsp (120 g) tropical brown sugar
- 1 cup less 1 tbsp (95 g) almond meal
- 6.5 tbsp (95 g) lightly soft unsalted butter
- pinch of salt
- 13 oz (365 g diced golden delicious apples
- 2 cinnamon sticks, (or 4 according to size)
- Vanilla powder
- 5 medium (250 g) whole eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup + 3 tbsp + 1 tsp (250 g) superfine granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 g) melted unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup (70 g) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (30 g) Calvados
- 2 cups + 3 tbsp (280 g) all purpose flour
- 2.5 tsp (10 g) baking powder
- Unsalted butter for cooking apples
- Superfine granulated sugar for cooking apples
- Snow sugar
- In the bowl of the stand mixer, rub the flour, butter, sugar and almonds together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle the mixture onto the lined baking tray and refrigerate or freeze until ready to use (i suggest to prepare the day ahead).
- Butter and flour a 9.5 inches spring form pan, line the bottom with baking paper and set aside.
- In a sauce pan place diced apples, butter, cinnamon, sugar and vanilla powder.
- Cook for a few minutes until lightly cooked, but still firm.
- Let cool.
- Heat fan oven 325F - 160°C.
- In the bowl of the stand mixer, whisk whole eggs with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Pour 1/3 of the eggs/sugar mixture in another bowl: add oil, melted butter and calvados and mix to combine.
- Add sifted flour with baking powder to the remaining 2/3 of the eggs mixture.
- Add the previous mixture (eggs with butter, oil and calvados) and mix to combine.
- Then, add the diced apples and gently mix to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the almond crumble on the surface and bake for 35 minutes (i baked for a further 20 minutes……so, 65 minutes overall).
- Ceck with a skewer if the cake is done.
- Let cool, then dust with snow sugar.