Fenetra tart, here the recipe for a typical tart from Toulouse.
The tart, very simple, somewhat rustic in appearance, is really delicious.
The apricots marry perfectly with the almonds, and to reduce a little the sweetness of the macaronade that makes up the tart, candied lemon peel is added, for a touch of sourness.
A delicious tart that will win you over from the first bite.
<strong>Lemon short crust pastry</strong>
- 1 1/3 cups (165 g) pastry flour
- 3 tbsp (16.5 g) almond powder
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp (50 g) icing sugar
- 7 tbsp (95 g) soft unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium (27 g) whole egg, lightly beaten
- Lemon zest
- 3 medium (90 g) egg whites, room temperature
- 4 tbsp + 2 tsp (70 g) superfine granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp (20 g) pastry flour
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp (80 g) almond meal
- Apricot jam
- Candied lemon zest
- Icing sugar
Lemon short crust pastry
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix butter with almond meal, sifted icing sugar and grated lemon zest.
- Add lightly beaten whole egg and mix to combine.
- Add the sifted flour with salt and mix just to combine.
- Flatten the dough into a round disc, wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 6/8 hours.
- Place a tart ring (8 inches in diameter and 1 inch in high) on a perforated baking tray with perforated baking sheets.
- Roll the dough gently until you have an even 3 mm. thickness.
- Gently ease the dough into the sides of the ring, use your fingertips to press the pastry into the edges and up the wall of the tin.
- Using the knife, remove the overhanging pastry.
- Prick the base with a fork and refrigerate for 3 hours or freeze.
- Heat fan oven at 320F - 160°C and bake the tart shell for 10/12 minutes.
- While the tart shell is cooling down, prepare the Macaronade.
- Sift almond meal with flour and set aside.
- Whip egg whites and when they are foamy, add gradually granulated sugar and whip until you get a stiff and gloss meringue.
- Gently, add sifted flours and mix to combine.
To assemble and to bake
- Spread apricot jam on the tart shell and sprinkle with candied lemon zest the surface.
- Pour the macaronade in a pastry bag with a round nozzle and pipe a layer over the jam.
- Dust with icing sugar and bake for 30/35 minutes in fan oven, at 320F - 160°C.
- Out of the oven, remove the pastry ring and let completely cool.
- Dust with icing sugar to serve.