Milk brioche… ..a soft dough, soft and silky for a delicious brioche, to be tasted during the day.
Perfect for breakfast with jam or marmalade, or plain with a good tea.
Milk brioche … perfect to start in the right way the day.
I thank Pastry chef Rita Busalacchi for the recipe.
Milk brioche dough
- 2.5 cups + 1 tbsp (350 g) strong bread flour - 350W
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp (15 g) milk powder, (optional)
- 1 medium (50 g) whole egg
- 1/2 cup + 2 tsp (130 g) full fat milk
- 1/4 cup (65 g) plain yogurt
- 5 tbsp (75 g) superfine granulated sugar
- 10 g fresh yeast
- 4.5 tbsp (65 g) soft unsalted butter
- grated zest from 1 lemon
- 1 grated tonka bean
- 1 tsp (7 g) salt
- 30 g whole egg
- 2 tbsp (30 g) full fat milk
- pearl sugar
- Dough and baking
- Prepare a poolish.
- Melt the fresh yeast in 3tbsp + 1 tsp of milk (50 g) and add 1/3 cup (50 g) of flour (to take from the recipe).
- Mix to combine and let rise until double in size (about 30/40 minutes).
- In a bowl, place yogurt, egg and remaining milk and mix to combine.
- In another bowl, place butter with lemon zest and tonka bean and mix until incorporated (or vanilla, cinnamon…)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with hook attachment, place the remaining flour, the polish, milk powder and start to knead, pouring liquids alternated with sugar.
- Knead until well combined.
- Then, add soft butter, in 3 batches, then gradually salt.
- On a lightly floured surface, shape the dough into a ball and let rise until double in size in a buttered bowl.
- On a floured counter, divide the dough into 4 parts, 6 oz each - 175 g and shape into balls.
- Let set to rest for 10 minutes.
- With a rolling pin, roll one piece out into a rectangle, fold one third of the dough on top of itself and then fold the other side over it, turn the dough, roll again to flatten and seal.
- Roll the packet up from the bottom to make a roll.
- Place the roll into the buttered loaf mould 9.5x4.5x3 inches - 24x11x7 cm and repeat with other three balls of dough.
- Cover with cling film and let rise until double in size.
- In a small bowl, combine 30 g whole egg with 2 tbsp milk.
- Brush the surface with prepared egg wash, spread with pearl sugar and bake for 45/50 minutes in fan oven at 305F - 150°C.
- Remove from the mould and let cool on a wire rack.